#RENOVATION #MUSEUM #HISTORICAL
KOKO Architects : http://koko.ee/
The seaplane hangars at Tallinn Seaplane Harbour is one of the most valuable buildings of the 20th century in the Baltic States. The Danish engineering and construction company Christiani & Nielsen designed the hangars that were built in 1916–1917. The building is remarkable both in terms of construction science and technology.
The main body of the hangars consists of three concrete shells (thickness 8–12 cm), it is the first known steel concrete shell construction of this size in the world – 36.4 by 116 metres.
As the seaplane hangars had not been renovated since their construction, they were on the verge of collapse. In 2009, KOKO won the architectural competition.
The new exhibition of the Estonian Maritime Museum was established inside the hangars. Next to the reconstruction of the old building, KOKO put special emphasis on the architectural design which emerged from the needs of the museum.
KOKO wanted to preserve the overall impression of the space when planning architectural additions and the exhibition for the museum. As a significant architectural change, two sides of the building were opened to the daylight – the mute walls were replaced with a glass facade, covered by massive sliding doors that follow historic examples.
The main idea of the exhibition is conceptually strong, spatially challenging and at the same time quite flexible. The interior of the hangars has been divided into three “worlds” – underwater, on the surface and in the air. These “worlds” made it possible to present a large amount of the collection of the Maritime Museum in a characteristic environment.
architects: Mr Andrus Kõresaar, Mr Raivo Kotov, Mr Indrek Mikk, Mrs Margit Aule, Mr Tõnis Savi (KOKO architects)
location: Vesilennuki 6, Tallinn, Estonia
surface: 8000 m2
year/status: 2012 (built)
structure: existing building: reinforced concrete; additions: steel
materials: concrete, steel, glass
client/contractor: Estonian Maritime Museum
project team: Mr Jaanus Männik, Ms Olga Batuhtina, Ms Margit Argus, Ms Lea Laidra, Ms Karis Kahr, Mrs Jelena Altmäe, Ms Liina Rohtlaan (KOKO architects), Mr Karl Õiger, Mr Heiki Onton (Tallinn University of Technology / Reconstruction engineer), Mr Marti Sein, Mr Priit Luure, Mr Andres Kindel (Neoprojekt/ Structural engineer), Mr Jaak Sulg, Mr Indrek Tirmaste (VMT Ehitus / Structural Engineer), Mr Teet Tark, Mr Albert Rodin (HEVAC / Civil Engineer), Mr Mart Mae (Henert Grupp / Civil Engineer), Mrs Kaia Hannus (HEVAC / Civil Engineer), Mrs Pilvi Pärnamägi (FIE Pilvi Pärnamägi / Civil Engineer), Mr Indrek Siigur (Hanken / Civil Engineer), Mrs Anne Altpere (Nivoo Projekt / Civil Engineer)
partner/consultants: Mrs Linda Madalik (FIE Linda Madalik / Acoustics Consultant), Mr Urmas Pastarus (UPLIFT / Lighting Consultant), Mr Ahto Kallas (Moodne Valgustus / Lighting Consultant), Mr Jaano Vink (Nordecon / Main Contractor)
photography: Kaido Haagen, Andrus Kõresaar, Andres Teiss, Arne Maasik, all rights reserved to KOKO architects