#CONVERSION #FLEXIBILITY #CYPRUS
Yiorgos Hadjichristou: http://www.yiorgoshadjichristou.com/
The University of Nicosia decided to accommodate the Architecture Department- ARC Architecture Research Center in an existing shoe factory of the adjacent Engomi industrial area. It efficiently addressed the strategy of the reuse and the regeneration of the derelict industrial site, quite responding and reflecting the sensible and explorative direction of the ARC.
The needs of the architecture department, the structural and budget restrictions together with the weight of the responsibility of the identity of the ‘Architecture Research Center defined the approach of the design.
The conversion of the building responded to the increased needs of the ARC which demanded various sizes of studio spaces, meeting-lecture-exhibition spaces, workshop, offices, computer labs, cafeteria etc. The high ceiling industrial space may finally keep its completely open plan character or may be divided up to a variety of studios, amphitheater, lecture and exhibition space, through the sliding dividing panels. The arrangement of the panels can provide each time different and diverse spatial and circulation conditions, while they serve for the acoustic needs and as surfaces for the pin ups of the students work. The central amphitheatrically part leads to the roof of the building from where winter sunlight may enter the center of the building while it can be used as an organic link to the future vertical extension of the ARC.
The envelope of the building is treated with polycarbonate panels in various soft color tones providing a pleasant interior light condition.
Architects: Petros Konstantinou and Yiorgos Hadjichristou
Location: Engomi, Nicosia, Cyprus
Surface: 1544 sq.m
Structure: Conversion of an existing industrial – Concrete Building
Materials: Concrete. Polycarbonate
Collaborators: Veronika Antoniou and Joao Teigas, External collaborator: Alessandra Swiny
Civil Engineer: Nikos Kalathas– E.P.S. Civil Engineers Consultants
Mechanical Engineer: Yiorgos Theocharides
Electrical engineer: Evangelos Lampaskis
Owner: University of Nicosia
Constructor: Lois Builders ltd
Photography: Spyrou and Agisilaou, Hadjichristou Y.